Saturday, June 20, 2015

What Good Are Earplugs?

     Two "good old boys" from the hills, Billy Bob and Jethro, got a job working at a lumber mill in a nearby town.  As they were miles from home and didn't have money to commute, they rented a room together not far from work.  One day on their lunch break, Billy Bob announced to his friend, "Looka here, Jethro, I got a letter from home.  I think it's from my sweetheart, Betty Ann."  He held up the letter and sniffed the perfume.
    Jethro said, "Why don't you open it up and read it?"
    "You know I can't read," Billy Bob answered his friend.  "I was hoping I could get you to read it to me.  That's what friends is for, right?"
    Jethro answered, "Sure 'nuff.  Hand it over and I'll read it out to ya."
    Before he did, however, Billy Bob gave Jethro a set of earplugs.  "Here, put these in, and then you can read it to me."
    "Why do I got to put these in?  We're on lunch break and the saw mill is quiet."
    "Well shucks," Billy Bob said, "I don't want you hearing what Betty Ann done wrote.  It's personal."

No comments:

Post a Comment